A microphone indeed plays an important role in transferring your voice from one device to another. And if it does not function well, then you will get irritated as the other person won’t be able to hear you. In fact, microphone not working issues are common in almost every operating system.
Today, I am going to list down solutions to the microphone not working issues for Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7 respectively. The purpose of this article is to solve the issues related to an internal, integrated and external microphone.
Enough Talking! But before I move further, let me ask you a question. Have you got yourself an ideal microphone for different purposes? If not, check out the microphones guide that you can select according to your preferences;
Check out this Best Microphone for recording voice on laptop
Let’s get back to work now!
- Windows 10 Internal Microphone Not Working. How To Solve This Issue?
- Fastest Solution to Microphone Not Working in Windows 10:
- Microphone Still Isn’t Working After This Solution. What To Do?
- Method 1 – Fixing Recording Device Settings:
- Method 2 – Uninstalling and Reinstalling The Microphone Drivers:
- Microphone Not Working Issue Resolved for Users with IDT High Definition Audio Codec Device:
- Microphone Not Working Issue Resolved for Gaming Headsets or Microphone + Headset Combo:
- Issues With iPhone Earphones and Other Headsets Solved:
- Microphone Not Working Issue Solved for Recording Softwares on Windows 10:
- Microphone Not Working Issue Solved For Windows 8:
- Microphone Not Working Issues Solved For Windows 7:
- FAQS about Microphone Not Working Issues:
Windows 10 Internal Microphone Not Working. How To Solve This Issue?
The issue of the microphone not working in Windows 10 started after a major updated which happened in April 2018. Because of that update, many users got issues with the working of their microphone.
So, to solve the mic related problems that you can suffer in Windows 10 after the update, let’s have a look at different methods:
Fastest Solution to Microphone Not Working in Windows 10:
The fastest microphone issue solution in Windows might be implemented by following the listed below steps:
1. Go to Settings from the start menu.
In the settings menu, click the Privacy tab as it has got all important options concerned with the privacy devices such as a microphone or video camera.
2. In the privacy tab, select the Microphone tab and after that click on Change button as shown in the image below:
3. After clicking on Change, a new tab will popup asking you whether to enable microphone access or not. Turn on that option.
4. Now after turning on microphone access, there will be an option written as Allow Microphone to Access Apps in the bottom area, turn on that option as well.
5. In addition, the deep down area will also be showing all the apps for which you can turn on the microphone access or turn it off. Turn On mic access for all apps.
6. The microphone will start working with the related apps if you have implemented the above-mentioned steps as shown to you through images.
You can also apply the same steps in Privacy menu for your Webcam by selecting the Camera option instead of a microphone. Follow the image shown below:
If microphone not working issue is caused by due to some trial and error of the operating system, the fastest solution can solve it without any worries.
Microphone Still Isn’t Working After This Solution. What To Do?
If you are facing the issue of the microphone not working even after you have implemented all the steps, then you might have got issues in the hardware of external microphone.
The best way is to plug in the microphone in another PC and to see whether it’s working or not. If it does not work on that computer as well, then it is probable that it has got a hardware problem. If the problem persists, contact the manufacturer of that microphone or claim the warranty of that microphone to get a new microphone without any faults.
Also, one other solution that you can try out is to plug-in the mic jack into the back panel of PC and not on the front because front audio ports are often disconnected from the motherboard. (If you have a desktop Computer, Not for Laptops).
Well, when it is confirmed that the hardware is perfect and your microphone is working fine on different computers except yours, then you don’t need to be panicked.
Different methods are applied in this scenario.
Let’s have a look at them one by one:
Method 1 – Fixing Recording Device Settings:
Microphone not working issues might arise sometime because the recording device is not set at default.
Follow the below mentioned steps to make your external microphone as your default recording device:
1. Right, Click on the speaker icon present at right bottom corner of the Windows screen and after clicking that icon, select Sounds from the options.
2. A new tab will open. There, click on the Recording tab to see the list of your recording devices.
3. After the recording tab has been chosen, you will see the list of recording devices integrated with your PC or laptop. Now, speak different words in your microphone to see whether the green bars are going up and down or not.
4. If you are still unable to see the green bars, then skip to step 5. But if the green bars are showing and still your microphone isn’t working, then this means that Windows has got the microphone configured correctly, but the problem is with listening to the wrong device. Better, change the program settings for this issue.
5. If the green bars are not working, then you should check the microphone which you have got in the list of recording devices. If you have found your microphone in the list. Click on that microphone and then click on set to default to make it your default recording device.
- Check again by speaking in the microphone that whether the green bars are rising or not. If the bars are rising, this means that the microphone is now configured properly. If the problem still persists, continue to next step.
6. Double click on the recording device which looks like your microphone to go to its properties. In microphone properties, click on the Levels tab.
7. In the levels tab, you must make sure that the volume level and microphone boost level are set to maximum. You can easily do that by simply dragging the mouse pointer towards the maximum.
8. If you can see the Enhancement tab just beside Level tab, click on it and uncheck the Disable all sound effect options to make sure that your microphone can work fine.
9. After that, visit the Advanced tab located beside Enhancement and uncheck the box where its written that “Allow applications to take control of this device”. Click on OK to apply the settings.
10. Close the microphone properties panel and go to the Sound Devices panel that you opened previously. Rather than going to Recording panel, click on Communications tab and check the option, “Do Nothing” and click on OK to apply settings.
11. Restart your PC for the changes to take place effectively. Go to the Recording panel again to see whether the green bars are rising upon speaking or not. If they are rising, then it means that your microphone is working perfectly and is configured now.
12. If you have still got the wrong recording device, follow the above-mentioned steps to make sure that you are configuring the right microphone device.
You will be able to configure your microphone properly by applying the above-mentioned specs. Make sure to do one step at a time and take help from the images that I have pasted wherever your face difficulty.
Method 2 – Uninstalling and Reinstalling The Microphone Drivers:
If method 1 doesn’t solve the microphone not working issue, then don’t worry. There is a method 2 available where you have to uninstall and reinstall the microphone drivers.
Let’s follow these simple steps to solve microphone not working problem in Windows 10:
1. Open Device Manager by searching it on the search bar available in the start menu of Windows.
2. In Device Manager menu, open Audio Inputs and Output Section:
After that follow these steps to uninstall and reinstall the microphone drivers:
1. Left click on the recording device of your operating system in the Audio Input section.
2. A new menu will open up, find Uninstall option in here and click on it.
3. Disconnect the microphone from your computer physically.
4. Restart your computer again.
5. Reconnect microphone to your computer and let the Windows install the drivers of it again.
6. If the Windows 10 update is stuck while updating the drivers automatically, it won’t be able to update them. To fix this issue, check out the following guide.
7. If the above-mentioned steps don’t work, then simply install the latest drivers of the microphone on your PC manufacturer’s website automatically. That’s because, sometimes, the latest drivers are sometimes not compatible with the model you are using and so you have to search for the special drivers released for your PC.
8. Download the drivers manually and install them. After installing check whether your microphone is working or not.
9. Keep in mind that if you are searching for microphone drivers for your model and Windows 10 version isn’t available on the manufacturer’s device, then this means that they aren’t released yet. You will have to wait until the drivers are released by the manufacturer.
10. Well, this is all you can do to configure the recording device or to solve the microphone not working issue. You can join this forum to see other possible solutions if the above-mentioned steps are not working for you.
Microphone not working issue can be solved easily by applying method 1 and method 2. If both methods fail to solve your problem, there are some other things that you could imply as well. Let’s head towards them:
Microphone Not Working Issue Resolved for Users with IDT High Definition Audio Codec Device:
Let’s follow the simple steps if you are using IDT music device to resolve the microphone not working issue:
1. Go to Device Manager. The fastest way is by typing it in search bar.
2. Open Audio and Inputs section as mentioned in above steps.
3. Double Click on the recording device that you are using i.e. “High Definition Audio Codec”
4. Open the Driver tab there.
5. Click, “Update Driver”.
6. After that, click on, “Browse my computer for Driver software”.
7. Click, Let me pick up a list of device drivers option.
8. Select High Definition Audio Device. Refrain from using the IDT High Def. Finally, click on Next.
9. You will probably get a warning, click Yes to move forward.
10. Check to see whether it works or not.
This solution regarding microphone not working issue is for IDT users and they can implement it to configure their microphone correctly.
Microphone Not Working Issue Resolved for Gaming Headsets or Microphone + Headset Combo:
Sometimes it can happen that the headset that you have bought is unable to deliver whatever you speak even if it has got a microphone.
In this situation, you should first make sure that the main connection between your headset and your pc is the same. That is, if your headset has got two different jacks e.g. one for mic and other for audio, your pc must also contain these two ports as well.
Similarly, if the headset you have got has one port for both microphone and audio, then your computer should have one port to handle both operations at the same time.
Issues With iPhone Earphones and Other Headsets Solved:
iPhone earphones and other kinds of headsets come with a single jack and they won’t be able to work on your computer if your computer audio and microphone ports are split. The best solution in this scenario is to buy a splitter for the headset jack which converts a single port into two different ports.
Similarly, if your headset has got two different jacks and you want to insert them in a single port, then there is a splitter available for them as well which will combine both the ports of the headset and convert it into a single port.
If the connection of your headset and pc is same and still the microphone isn’t working for you, you should try a USB converter. Two types can be used i.e.:
1. For one x 3.5mm jacks headsets
2. For two x 3.5mm jack headsets:
Microphone Not Working Issue Solved for Recording Softwares on Windows 10:
If the microphone is not able to work on different recording softwares, then you should try updating the softwares or applications that you are using for recording your voice. You can also shift to the application which is compatible with your external microphone to enjoy more features.
These methods and steps can be applied to get away with a microphone, not working issues. If all these methods still didn’t work out for you, go to this forum where you will get updated with the microphone not working issue by a live expert.
Microphone Not Working Issue Solved For Windows 8:
If the microphone is not working on Windows 8 operating system, then follow these simple steps to solve this issue.
1. Click on the Sound icon as shown in the image:
2. Go To Audio Devices from there and you will see a new tab there.
3. Go to Recording section and check the list of recording devices.
4. Click on the device that you identify as your microphone and set it as your default if it is not already set.
5. Try to speak something in your microphone and you will see green bars rising up and down. If they are rising properly, then congratulations, the microphone is now working properly.
6. If the green bars are not showing, click on the recording device and go to its properties.
7. In properties section, go to Levels section and increase the level of both Microphone and Microphone Boost to full.
8. Go to the Enhancements section after you are done with the Levels.
9. Uncheck the box where its written, “Disable all sound effects”.
10. Check the microphone again in Recording section and if the green bars have started showing, you are done with the job.
You can imply these simple steps to make sure that the microphone, not working issues get solved on Windows 8 operating system. Before applying these steps, also make sure that the microphone drivers are up to date and you have checked the issues in hardware of the microphone.
Microphone Not Working Issues Solved For Windows 7:
If the microphone that you have got is not working in Windows 7, then you should try out these steps to make sure that it works fine:
1. Click on the Windows symbol as seen on the bottom left of the screen and then click on Control panel as shown in figure:
2. In Control Panel menu, click on Hardware and Sound.
3. Under the sound section, click on manage audio devices.
4. Click on Recording Tab which is visible at the top of a new window.
5. Try speaking in the microphone to see whether the green bars are rising on the selected recording device or not. If they are rising, then it means that your microphone is already working perfectly.
6. If the green bars are not working, then select on the device which looks like your external microphone i.e. like a headset or a dynamic microphone icon.
7. After selecting go to its properties.
8. A new tab will open, there go to the Levels section.
9. Increase the level of Microphone at its fullest.
10. Apply changes.
11. Go back to the Recording menu and see for yourself whether the changes are effective or not.
12. If the green bars are showing, BINGO, your microphone is now configured and you can use it.
Windows 7 has got a simple user interface and you can easily configure your microphone by applying the above-mentioned steps. On the other hand, make sure that the external microphone is plugged into your PC correctly and also the drivers of microphone must also be updated for changes to take place effectively.
FAQS about Microphone Not Working Issues:
1. How Do I Re-Enable My Microphone:
Go to the Sound icon as seen on the bottom right corner of Windows screen (For all Windows OS). Right Click on that icon and select the Recording Devices option or Audio Devices option. Click on the Recording tab there and you will see a list of recording devices. Find out the icon that looks like your microphone and click on enable. That’s how you re-enable your microphone.
2. How Do You Troubleshoot a Microphone?
Troubleshooting a microphone is also an easy task. Simply go to the sound icon located at the bottom right corner of Windows screen, then from there click on Audio Devices. After that, go to the Recording tab and click on the microphone you want to troubleshoot. Select the microphone and go to its properties. In properties tab, go to the Enhancements tab and uncheck the option, “Disable all sound effects”. Hope it helps in troubleshooting a microphone.
3. How Can I Check If My Mic Is Working?
Plug in your microphone or headset or whatever your receiver device is into the compatible port of your PC or laptop. After that, go to the Control Panel and there click on Sounds and Audio Devices section. Click on the voice tab after that. Select Test hardware tab and press Next button. Speak in the microphone and if the green bars are rising, it means that the microphone you have connected is working fine.
4. How Do I Fix My Microphone on My iPhone?
In order to fix the primary microphone on your iPhone, open Voice Memos section and tap the record icon as you can see it now. Then, speak into the mic and tap the play icon so that you can listen to what you spoke. If the voice is clear, this means that the microphone of iPhone is already fixed.
5. How do I get my disabled microphone back?
If you have already disabled your mic by mistake, then there is no need to worry as you can enable it again. Right, Click the speaker icon as shown on the bottom right corner. Go to Audio Devices or Recording Devices and a new window will pop up. Here, click on the Recording tab and you will see a bunch of recording devices. Select the device you want to enable and click the properties option available at bottom. Go to the Levels section in properties of that disabled microphone and click on the mute button of speaker again to unmute it. That’s how you can re-enable your disabled microphone.
The Final Word:
Microphone, not working issues can easily be resolved on different operating systems such as Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7. Make sure that you apply all these steps to configure your microphone in an ideal way. That was all I knew and I shared with you. Hope, you can solve the microphone not working issues easily by reading this guide.
Dear John Keats,
Excellent diagnostic work. Keep up the good work.