When it is about mixing music, you must want the best mixed headphone that is comfortable and provide accurate frequency response. An open back headphone allows you to hear outside noise and people around you hear what you are listening, it gives you the more natural quality of sound. But if you want full sound isolation, a close back headphone is an excellent choice in terms of detailed sound and frequency response.
Mixing music in a studio requires the right gear. In the industry where entire music depends on audio quality, you do not have a choice rather than choosing the best headphone for mixing.
At a Glance… Top 3 Picks!
We have gathered brief details here about the top 5 mixing headphones trending in the market this year. Please take a glance at the below list, and then on the further details about the top 5 headphones for professional music-making and mixing in 2020. Below is the list:
- Top 5 Headphones for Mixing in 2020 in detail:
- What to Look for in a High-Quality Headphones for Mixing & Mastering?
- Frequently Asked Questions!
Top 5 Headphones for Mixing in 2020 in detail:
1. Status Audio Mixing Closed-Back Studio Monitor Headphones (CB-1)
The Status Audio Headphone CB-1 has become a business commonplace by making it a crucial listening headphone. CB-1 is praised by techies and members of the professional audio group. There are constant excessive marks from the discerning ears of the business. The status headphone is best in the list for mixing, recording, mastering, and other purposes mean critical listening.
Even the clients and reviewers have praised CB 1 ergonomic and long-term consolation along with a clear and unbranded aesthetic. This closed-back studio monitor headphone offers perfect sonic neutrality. Even the music makers and audio engineer appreciates its accuracy and fidelity this headphone delivers.
- 50mm driver system
- 2x cables – detachable
- 3.5mm wired connection
- Circumaural design
- Versatility offers inside the studio and out
- Studio standard for recording studios around the world
- Significant 50MM drivers offer studio audio quality in a wide soundstage
- Designed with comfort
- Two removable cables, one coiled and one straight design
- Circular design gold steel accent folding earcups
- Compatible with 3.5mm audio cable
- ¼ adaptor plug
- Slim frame
Why we choose this one?
- Critical acclaim from the most discerning audiophiles of the web and top technological editors.
- Best studio quality on and wide and expansive soundstage.
- A padded headband and earpads overstuffed make it comfortable to wear for multiple hours of recording sessions
- Two cables with custom locking system keep it attached to the headphone
2. Tascam Closed-Back Studio Mixing Headphones (TH-MX2)
Today, most of the headphone comes with better sound quality but some focus on looks. Looks are indeed deceiving and a lot of time put into the aesthetic situation because of non-functionality. Tascam Closed-Back TH-MX2 series Studio Mixing Headphone is about functionality. It comes from the TH celebrated series.
TH series is famous for its excellent sound quality to do recording and mixing. While it is also the best option for everyday listeners. The standard design is followed as per music recording history. The simple black design is a perfect option for sound engineers, musicians, and other everyday music buffs.
- 40mm magnetic drivers (neodymium)
- 3.5mm to ¼” compatible adapter (screw-on)
- Over the ear and closed-back design offer superior isolation for mixing
- Designed to provide clear mids, crisp highs and rich lows
- Stainless steel framework with adjustable arms
- Dynamic Transducer
- Brand New Neodymium Magnet Driver 40mm
- True Audio Reproduction
- 40mm Driver Diameter
- 32W Impedance
- 95db Sensitivity
- 15Hz to 22kHz Frequency Response
Why we choose this one?
- Tascam Th-MX2 studio is a comfortable and professional headphone constructed with stainless steel framework s that it durable. Adjustable arms help you to get a cozy and snug fit.
- The headphone delivers honest and cleanest audio quality than any other headphone available in the market.
- Professionals like musicians and sound engineers love its 3m cable.
3. Moukey Mixing Wired-Over Stereo Monitor Headphones
Moukey Dj is a wired over stereo headphone designed especially for those who love listening to music. It offers Hi-Fi stereo sound what professional DJ monitoring uses. Those comfortable earmuffs make you feel premium comfort than a long time wearing.
The DJ-style 9.8ft cable comes with a 2-in-1 plugin gold and 3pin to 4pin cable connected microphone makes it very easy to connect with your iPad, iPhone, iPod, Android, and other Audio devices. It is adapter free and comes with the latest Japanese 3.5mm and 6.35mm Drive units. You can connect 6.35mm adapter to electronic instruments like home amplifiers, electronic pianos, DJ equipment, and electronic drums.
- 2-in-1 (3.5mm inside plug & 6.35mm outside plug)
- Premium hi-fi stereo sound
- Wired connectivity
- Original high-quality speakers
- Earmuffs made of breathable and soft leather
- DJ headphone have 2-in-1 plug includes one standard size 3.5mm inside the plug and 6.5mm plug outside.
- Gold plated plugs with transmission signal
- Connectable to electronic pianos, power amplifier, electronic drums, audio mixer
- High Hardness PC material earcups swivel 90 degree
Why we choose this one?
- High-quality speakers offer clear vocal, crisp treble and powerful bass from hi-fi sound.
- 2-in-1 plug studio DJ headphone makes it simple to switch plug.
- For single-ear monitoring, earcups swivel 90degree, and self-adjustable flexible headband deliver a perfect mixing and fatigue-free listening.
- Microphones can be connected to iPhone, iPad, iPod, Android, and other audio devices.
4. Mackie Professional Mixing Headphones (MC-450)
Mackie has decades of innovation and refinement behind them. They created a sought out sound signature that was developed with an envious reputation from all over the world. Mackie’s profession mixing headphones have identical reference graded sound for long years. Such a sound is a convenient and portable format.
Whether you are using it in a studio or train or office, enjoy this pristine audio reproduction of the MC-450s that offers outstanding comfort and world-class reliability. You can make music, listen to your favorite track or sculpt mixing with all glory. This high performance-oriented open-back headphone is designed such a way to give superior sound from the starting to the ending point.
- 42mm transducers
- Real leather headband
- Rugged design
- Detachable cables
- The high-performance headphone comes with Mackie signature studio sound
- High-headroom references with 42mm quality transducers
- Provides accurate reproduction for music and mixing
- Open-back design with ultra-wide soundstage
- Smooth and exceptional mid-range exceptional detailed resolution
- Adjustable headband professionally designed using premium real-leather
- Earpad made with real leather memory foam
- Premium cables with bayonet locking connectors
Why we choose this one?
- Experiences the clarity of an open-back headphone
- The open-back design provides smooth midrange, wider soundstage, and exceptionally detailed resolution
- Rugged design built headphones will last and meet each demand of professional who works in any location or studio.
- The perfect solution for doing studio recording, mixing, personal, and critical listening who loves music.
5. Yamaha Compact Closed-Back Mixing Headphones (HPH-50B)
Yamaha Compact Stereo headphone is an entry-level headphone that delivers professionally graded sound with balanced bass and treble. It helps to playback recorded media and performs on any digital instrument. Such headphone features a swivel mechanism allowing the driver to turn 90-degree angle and fit on your comfort. The length of the headband is also adjustable.
The closed-back headphones offer a mighty sound with a straight-forward design. These 38mm drivers enclose a cup closed back and ensured a vibrant tone color that will not fatigue your ears after using for long hours. The HPH-50 headphone is usable with 1/8″ plug or ¼” adapter. The headphone offers you full-frequency enjoyment of music for more than hours.
- 90o swivel mechanism
- Stereo plug – gold plated
- Adjustable headband
- Headphone engineered with simplicity and highly graded sound
- Closed-back ear cups offer tone rich frequency respond
- 38mm driver swivel a 90 degree matching your ear angle
- Adjustable headband
- 20Hz-20kHz frequency
- The plug of 1/8″ gold plate and ¼” adapter
- Comfortable fit for long hours with velour ear pads
- 6.5″ cable
Why we choose this one?
- HPH-50 headphone delivers a high-quality sound that comes with balanced bass and treble. This is satisfying for listeners who playback recorded media or perform on all digital instruments.
- Swivel mechanism driver allows 90 degrees turning to fit your ear angle, and headband allows smooth length adjustment.
- The 2m cable allows connecting with musical instruments easily.
What to Look for in a High-Quality Headphones for Mixing & Mastering?
With more than a hundred brands emerging with similar products each day, your purchase process may become tedious; therefore, you must clear your mind with certain immediate factors before buying. These factors will help you in buying the most suitable product for yourself:
- If you want to track music during mixing or recording, a closed-back headphone is good. You do not want any sound leakage from the cans to get recorded by the microphone.
- If it is for casual mastering or mixing, then semi-open or open-back headphones might fit into your job better.
- Mix quality is paramount whether you choose open-end or semi-open headphones. Gear is what provides accurate frequency without it, and you cannot achieve pro mixing.
- You must check how flat the frequency spectrum of a headphone is.
- Isolation is another essential point you must look for.
- Comfort and durability are other essential things to look for.
Frequently Asked Questions!
Q1. Are mixing headphones the same as a regular headphone?
Both mixing and regular headphones can be used for listening to music. But mixing headphones sounds different as they have full and flat frequency response, no bass, and do not distort the sound. Regular headphones cannot provide sound isolation that is required for mixing a recording. Both are comfortable to wear for long hours.
Q2. Can you do all kinds of mastering with mixing headphones?
Yes, you can do all kinds of mastering with mixing headphones. The mastering of music using a mixing headphone eliminates the need for any acoustic treatment. Soundproofing will not be an issue. The size or shape of the room does not matters. No need to think about placing the speaker and listening position.
Q3. Which one is better? Closed-back or open-back headphones?
Closed-back and open-back headphones are commonly used headphones you can find in studios. Closed-back completely seals the sound around you, which makes noise isolation from outside while open-back is not sealed, but it let you hear the music more naturally. To choose a one, it ultimately depends on your use, whether to track music or for casual listening.
Q4. Are studio/professional headphones essential for mixing?
Yes, professional studio headphones are essential to do mixing or mastering. It let you work on the various settings of music. It helps to avoid disturbing other people around you. It helps to isolate from around the people. Headphones are the best option when you need to use them in a studio.
In my terms, Tascam’s new TH-MX2 closed-back mixing headphones acclaimed to the best headphone in the line. They are perfectly tailored headphones to do mixing and recording. Also, it fits into everyday music listening needs. They are made of industry-standard design and offer supreme audio quality, fitting, and extra comfort for long hours.